2016 m. gegužės 21 d., šeštadienis

3.19. Tell the truth

They sat on the shore of river long time. Only few days ago this place was their favorite place where they could be only two and share their love without fear that someone will notice them. But today everything was different. Suletu cried and Okomi felt comfused and scared no less than his lover.
- So you don't want this baby?! - Suletu looked at Okomi. Her eyes were full of tears.
- I didn't say that! I'm just saying it didn't have to happen now, it's too early, - Okomi caressed Suletu's shoulder.
- But we can't change that, right?! Maybe do you think I can take out a baby and hide it somewhere asking to wait till I'll have my next Birthday? - Suletu smiled ironically.
Okomi frowned.
- I'm not mocking at you. I am serious, so stop talking nonsenses... Baby will not wait, baby grows inside you, Suletu, - he looked gloomy at the girl. - One day your belly will be huge like Nikkis. We have to talk to Wenona and say her about baby. No matter what will happen.
A fear loomed in Suletu's eyes.
- She will kill us...
- Wenona? I don't think so... But she'll punish us, yes, - Okomi nodded.
- Oh no, Okomi... - Suletu shook her head and wept silently. - She can't punish me and baby, it's not a baby's fault!
- I know... - Okomi said lowering his head. - But still... - he made a short pause. - As I said we have to say a truth.
- No! - Suletu exclaimed.
Okomi looked at his crying lover for some time. It was really hard... He didn't know how to comfort Suletu and himself, he knew only one - any cruel truth is better than any sweet lie. 
- I will do that, - finally he said.
Suletu wiped her tears and looked scared at Okomi.
- What will you do?
- I'll talk to Wenona.
- Please... - Suletu grabbed Okomi's hand. - Don't do that! 
- We don't have another choice, Suletu. If we'll lie or we'll try escape then we can really die... - Okomi talked looking at Suletu's eyes. - I want to protect us and our baby. Do you understand?
Suletu wept again. She nodded silently. Okomi kissed her hair and left.

***
Okomi returned to the tribal camp. He stood looking around and thinking what he'll say to his creator. Suddenly he noticed Tahatan. Okomi smiled watching how his childhood friend tries to make a bonsai. It still was his hobby... Nova, their step-mother, taught him how to create bonsai and Tahatan saved her lessons in his mind and his heart. What would say Nova if she would know what happened to her daughter Suletu and him? However, he'll never know that as Nova was dead. 
- Tahatan... - Okomi came to his friend. 
- Yes, Okomi... - Tahatan answered without turning his head.
- You always were very wise... When I remember how I fought against you when we were kids I still feel very ashamed, - Okomi smiled a bit. - I was such stupid little boy who's heart was full of grudge.
Tahatan chuckled.
- It happened many summers and winters ago, Okomi. Why we have to remember that? We aren't kids now, we are adult men, - he looked for short at Okomi and smiled. 
Okomi smiled back at him.
- Why I see so much anxiety in my friend's eyes? - Tahatan asked and turned away. He took the scissors and continued his work on bonsai.
Okomi stood silent for a while.
- I got in troubles, Tahatan. I and Suletu, - he said at least. - I need your advice.
- What was happened, Okomi?
- Suletu is with a child, Tahatan.
Okomi noticed how Tahatan's face fell although he still cut the branches of the tree.
- You have to talk to my sister, Okomi. Right now.
- And?
- I don't know, brother. I am not Wenona. But she is a right and noble person, - Tahatan looked at his cousin. - Tell her a truth, it's the best advice I can give you, Okomi.
- Thank you, - Okomi said silently and went.

***
It was easy to say "Tell her the truth"... Okomi knew that he must to tell the truth, but how... How to come to Wenona and say that he and Suletu broke the tribal laws and traditions? It wasn't easy. Wenona will be disappointed in him and Suletu, he felt ashamed and even more upset. He hid in his tent trying to hide his deep sadness from other eyes. Even from Suletu. He thought all night what he can to do, is here another solution... But, unfortunately, he couldn't think anything more wiser. Tahatan was right, he has to tell the truth. Okomi knew that since that moment when Suletu said him she's pregnant, but he couldn't... No, he's not coward, he just wanted to avoid that feeling of shame when he'll have to look at Wenona's eyes. And still... Okomi understood that if he'll stay in his tent it will not help neither him nor Suletu. It was early morning, one more new day and one more day of anxiety and fear for his and Suletu fate, but he MUST to do that. Right now. Okomi felt very tired and his eyes burnt of lack of sleep, but he still determined to find Wenona and tell her a truth.

***
Okomi found Wenona standing near the bonfire. She seemed quiet and reticent as always. Okomi smiled and stood beside her.
- Good morning, my creator and big sister.
- Good morning, Okomi, - Wenona answered, a subtle smile appeared on her face.
- My dear Wenona... We have to talk.
- What about, Okomi? - Wenona raised her brow. - Isn't still early morning, my brother?
- It's serious, my creator... If I'll not do that I'll go crazy.
Wenona turned her face to Okomi. 
- I am listening to you. You can talk, - she nodded and turned to fire again.
- My creator, I and Suletu... - Okomi made a pause looking down at his moccasins. - We made a big mistake. I feel very ashamed for that, but I won't be liar and be even more ashamed when you'll command other tribal sons to cut my tongue. 
- What are you talking about, Okomi?! - Wenona looked at her cousin surprised. - I don't understand...
- I want to tell you a truth and only a truth, my creator... Suletu is with a child. 
- What?! - Wenona gasped covering her face. 
- I know we broke the tribal traditions and rules! - Okomi started gesticulate his hands in the fear and excitement. - I know that I am villain as I didn't stop Suletu in time and allowed her to seduce me! Then nobody could stop us... - he lowered his head. - I am a weak person, my creator... 
Wenona stood silent like a rock for a while. It was hard to say what she thinks. This moment seemed like an eternity for Okomi, but he didn't dare to break this silence. 
- Why didn't Suletu come to me herself? - Wenona asked silently.
- She is scared, my creator, - Okomi swallowed feeling how his palms became wet. - It's my fault, creator Wenona... Only my fault. I am older than Suletu, I had to think about the consequences...
- Shut up, Okomi! - Wenona raised her voice.
Okomi stopped talking. Wenona sat down by the fire.
- Sit, - she told Okomi.
Okomi sat silently next to her.
- If it had happened many years ago you would be killed only for the fact you touched a teenage girl, Suletu would be banished from the tribe, - Wenona said in a calm voice. - However, it was many years ago. I'll not do that, Okomi, - she looked at the guy. - I cherish my people. 
Okomi looked at Wenona catching her every word.
- But it doesn't mean you'll avoid the punishment, Okomi.
- What punishment? - Okomi swallowed.
- I'll let you know later. Now find Nikki and say her that I want to talk to her.
Okomi nodded and stood up.
- I will find Nikki, my creator, - he bowed to Wenona and went to look for shaman.

***
Wenona followed with her eyes Okomi till he vanished behind the tents. She gave a deep sigh and looked at the fire. It was so hard to be creator. She didn't like to punish and she's never did that before, but she had to do that if even she loved Okomi and Suletu like her real siblings. If even they'll hate her after what she'll tell them to do. To save and teach her people to respect the tribal traditions and laws was Wenona's duty. If she'll not do that she'll be weak creator and very bad example for her daughter.
- Mom! - suddenly she heard Sihu's voice. - Why are you hiding here? 
- I am not hiding, Sihu, - Wenona smiled. - I am waiting for shaman Nikki.
- But your eyes are sad, - a little girl looked worried at her mother. - Did someone made you upset, mommy?
- Sometimes we have to accept the challenges, my little one.
- Oh, mommy... I'll try never upset you, I promise! - a little girl stretched her hands and hugged her mother tightly.
Wenona hugged her daughter back with a gentle smile on her face.
- I believe in you... - she said silently.
Sihu was her greatest consolation.


Komentarų nėra:

Rašyti komentarą